Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
Energy Efficient Window and Door Replacement for Your Home
Watch this video to see how these homeowners lowered their heating and cooling bills by replacing the drafty, old windows and doors in their home with energy efficient, double pane, insulated windows and doors. ...More
Energy Efficient Window and Door Replacement for Your HomeBy: Danny Lipford
Watch this video to see how Jeanne McCabe and John Reis of Katonah, New York—the winners of the JELD-WEN Utility Bill Bailout—reduced their heating and cooling bills by replacing the drafty, single pane, aluminum frame windows on their house with insulated, double pane windows from JELD-WEN Windows & Doors. In addition, the old exterior doors were replaced as well.
When replacing the windows on your home:
- Window Glass: Choose insulated glass windows with low-E coating and energy efficient gas, such as argon or krypton, between the panes.
- Window Frames: Select energy efficient, insulated vinyl or aluminum clad frames over solid aluminum frames.
- Window Warranty: Read the window and glass warranty carefully to make sure the glass is covered for fogging caused by seal leakage.
- Window Installation: Since window replacement is fairly complicated, consider professional installation rather than attempting to do the project yourself.
Read episode article to find out more.
- Advantages of Replacing Your Windows and Doors (video)
- How to Reduce Home Heating Bills and Save Energy (video)
- Upgrading and Replacing Doors on Your Home (article)
- Window Repair and Replacement for Your Home (video)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.