Best New Products

Envirotile Recycled Rubber Floor Tile

By: Jodi Marks

Eco-friendly envirotile floor tiles from Multy Home are made from recycled rubber in tires. The DIY-friendly tiles are great for surfaces ranging from patios and decks to playgrounds and storage sheds.

Envirotile are easy to install and come in various styles and colors. Simply press the special clips in the slots in the bottom to hold the tiles together. Envirotile can be cut to size with a utility knife or circular saw. Since the tiles are a floating floor that’s not attached with fasteners or adhesive, removal is easy as well.

Envirotile rubber tiles provide a nonslip surface, won’t crack or break, and come with a 5-year limited warranty. They’re available at The Home Depot. Watch this video to find out more.

Print   Video Transcript

Patio pavers are a nice addition to your outdoor living space, but sometimes these types of pavers are not perfect for your application. Well, you might want to consider these. These are recycled pavers made out of car tires and truck tires made by Envirotile and the nice thing about it is, take a look at this, all of the different designs that you get to choose from.

These look like stone pavers, you have a little more of an ornamental design on those back there, these look like brick pavers. But what I like best about these tiles is how easy they are to install. Now, they actually clip together with this patented little clip right here, and I’m going to show you just how easy it is to install.

Now, I’ve got one down here on the ground. I’m going to take this one. Now, on the back side you can see where it’s got the four grooves on each side, and what I’m going to do is lock those into place next to each other. So I’m going to line this up, and then I’m just going to put a little bit of pressure on it. I’m actually just going to kind of step on it and lock it into place. You see how easy it is?

The nice thing about it is that underneath here there’s actually a channel that allows the water to flow underneath it, so you’re not getting trapped water underneath. They won’t break or crack; and the nice thing is you can put these on your balcony, you can put them on your patio, you can put them on your deck.

So these can go anywhere and you can have it up in no time and really transform the look of your outdoor living space.

Comments

18 Comments on “Envirotile Recycled Rubber Floor Tile”

• Colin Says:
    May 15th, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I wish to use this product as a non slip walking surface for elderly folks on the exterior but covered front porch of my home. We accept that there are pros and cons. We are all guilty of using car tyres complete with their carcinogens and since we are stuck with the stuff contaminating our environment – finding a use to recycle them seems a God send.
    My alternatives to this good looking and highly slip resistant new product are:- 1/ Ceramic tiles that are still slippy, also expensive to buy and instal even if we could remove the previous three coats of flaking paint to provide a clean surface which we cannot. 2/Repaint which would still be slippy and is impossible for the same reason – the paint removal problem. or 3/ Carpet which becomes slippy/soggy and smelly in rain and ice and pretty soon becomes disgusting to look at!!!

I wonder if a good caulking would effectively seal between and around the rubber tiles to prevent bugs and water entry which seems to be the main issue for external use? Does anyone know of a suitable (Ontario available) caulking product?

• Caroline Nourse Says:
    April 1st, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I just finished doing a 12’x18′ covered lanai with the tiles. I had a problem with dye lots but then found another pattern with a similar dye lot and tecture and alternated them and I love the the way it came out. My main concern is that although covered, when I have torrential rains in Fl the water from the pool deck seeps under them and I am very concerned about the water sitting under there and causing mold. I have already had one bad rain storm and felt the water squishing under the tiles 2 days later. I spent almost $500 on them and I hope that I didn’t make a huge mistake. I love the look and feel and aside from the water issue I love them

• Michelle Says:
    July 6th, 2012 at 3:12 am

This is true what Connie says. I put mine down over concrete and I have a tree that leaves a lot. First it’s hard to sweep the leaves out of the crevices. After spraying them down to keep them clean I was worried about what might be underneath. No bugs but a lot of wet leaves, dirt, and grime so I had to pick them all up to clean well. Underneath had a smell and black marks from the imprints. I wish I had of done this earlier as I was a few days shy of the 90 day return.

• ANAMARIA Says:
    September 7th, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Concerning issues of Connie, WY you do not answer any of IT questions?
    IMPORTANT QUESTIONS LIKE THESE HELP US WITH THE PURCHASE OF A PRODUCT.
    I was thrilled with the product, but I’m afraid NOW AFTER THAT I HAVE READ THE COMMENTS OF CONNIE.
    PLEASE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS OF CONNIE.

• Cindy Kyser Says:
    August 23rd, 2011 at 2:35 pm

We ordered Envirotiles for a patio-conversion. Great idea but… Colors were not consistent between batches which presented some challenges. Since installation, the room has smelled like a tire store and my husband and I have both been congested and sick, with no relief.

See links about health warnings:

Tried to post this same review at Home Depot and they rejected as ‘inappropriate.’ Go figure.

Health risks may not warrant using the Multy-Home Envirotile product.

August 10th, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Hi Glenn,
    I haven’t tried cutting them, but according to the installation instructions on the Envirotile website, you cut them with a utility knife or jigsaw.

• glenn k Says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 12:15 pm

how do you cut them ??????? razor knife ..jig saw and power saw dont do it … but it look great so far… please help

• tom Says:
    July 22nd, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Considering envirotile. I wonder if Connie’s concrete slab was properly sloped (positive) away from the house. It seems the tiles might be better off on a prepared, sloped gravel/sand surface like regular pavers. That would provide better drainage I think.

I still think I’m going to go with concrete pavers. I’m a little concerned about the logevity of the rubber. I want something that will last longer than 5 years.

• connie Says:
    July 20th, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I do not believe they are tough enough for a car; the best place for these would be a covered porch area or a place where you could somehow keep bugs and water from getting under them. They hold the warmth from the sun; my little dogs loved to lay on them in the winter. On the other hand, black widow spiders started to hide in the groves underneath them. Guess they liked the damp darkness and warm area also. Again, I believe this is the start of a great idea, but they still need some work. We want worry free, maintenance free products that will help the environment, be healty for our kids, save us money and last a life time.

• Charlene Says:
    July 20th, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I wonder if these could be place directly on the ground and used as pavers for a parking area? Do you think they’d handle a car? Thanks!

• connie Says:
    July 19th, 2011 at 11:37 pm

By the way, if I could “upload” my photos of the mess it created, I would. Please let me know how and I will. Then you could see first hand what I am talking about regarding the groves being a great collection place for spiders, slugs, bugs and dirt and mold! The product idea is good, but still needs more work Home Depot! Please do not make your good customers your guinney pigs at their time and expense!!

• connie Says:
    July 19th, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I took photos of the white mold, spiders, slugs and dirt that collected under the 40 tiles I purchased. Had them for a couple of months. The grooves underneath are not large or deep enough to have water drain, so if it rains, the water sits between the concrete and the tiles. Mold and bugs start to collect. I gave Home Depot several photos of what mine looked like underneath, after less than 3 months. The grooves had spiders and bugs, and there was a white mold that had started, which also left my concrete back porch slab with black squares all over it. Home Depot said they really could not do anything about it and gave me my money back. Fine about refunding my money, but the amount of time spent on a project that definately did not work was just too much. These cannot go down on your concrete back porch if it is uncovered. Once it rains a couple of times, you will have a real problem on your hands.

• connie Says:
    July 3rd, 2011 at 12:54 am

Purchased 40 of these to cover my concrete back porch. After 2 months of use, I noticed the following: 1) the rubber surface gets hot in the summer, so not so great for a place in Arizona; 2) water and dirt stay under the tiles, creating a smell and mold, in addition to creating a collection place for bugs and spiders, which were there when I picked all mine up. They left black spots on my concrete back porch. If it rains, water gets underneath the tiles and does not drain. When you wash them down, a type of foam comes to the surface from the tiles. Disappointed, in that I spent alot of money and time invested in these. Unfortunately, they are going back to Home Depot, but in the meantime, my concrete back porch now looks terrible!

July 19th, 2011 at 9:38 am

Hi MaryAnn,
    According to the Envirotile website, in addition to covering concrete or wood decks and patio, they can be installed on the ground just like you would a paver patio. I haven’t personally tried it, though. Good luck with your project!

• MaryAnn Says:
    July 2nd, 2011 at 10:05 am

Can you put these directly on a dirt or sand surface? Or do you need to lay it on top of concrete or wood deck?

• EVELYN ROMAN Says:
    June 28th, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Certainly may be cheaper than concrete but not by much . I did my yard patio 546sq ft for less than $2,000.00. The look far exceeds that of a concrete patio. Definately worth the cost.

• Maxine Ammons Says:
    May 25th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Was going to use this for a porch, but can install concrete for a little less

• Bugler Says: