Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
Fire Safety Tips for Your Kitchen
Most home fires start in the kitchen and are caused by cooking on a stove. To keep your kitchen and home safe from fire, it’s important to have both smoke alarms and fire extinguishers. Watch this video to find out more. ...More
Most home fires start in the kitchen and are caused by cooking on a stove. To keep your kitchen safe, it’s important to have both smoke alarms and fire extinguishers in your home.
- Fire Extinguisher: You never know when a fire might start, so it’s important to keep a fire extinguisher within reach in your kitchen at all times. Fire extinguishers are now available in attractive designs and designer finishes that blend in with your kitchen décor.
- Smoke Alarms: It’s important to install smoke alarms throughout your home including bedrooms, hallways, living rooms, dens, and in stairways. The kitchen itself is not the best place for a smoke alarm, since it will often go off when cooking. Instead, locate a smoke alarm in an adjacent room to avoid nuisance alarms while still giving a quick response time. Wireless smoke alarm systems are available that all sound in unison when one is activated.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Safe at Home (video/article)
- Fire Safety for Your Home (video/article)
- Installing Smoke Alarms in Your Home (video)
- How to Install CO Detectors in Your Home (video)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.