Videos

Green Products for Your Home

One of the first steps in creating a green home is finding innovative, environmentally friendly products to incorporate into the construction or remodeling process. According to Brian Welch, the publisher of Mother Earth News, green products are those manufactured from nontoxic, sustainable, or recycled materials. They also include items that save energy or can be easily recycled. Here are a few green products worth considering for your home.

• Bonded Logic UltraTouch Natural Cotton Fiber insulation is made from recycled cotton material that has been treated with a nontoxic boron-based fire and mold retardant. It doesn’t release harmful chemicals into the air of your home and is free from the irritation caused by fiberglass insulation during installation.

• BioBased Insulation is an environmentally friendly spray-on expanding foam insulation made from soybeans. Since it seals wall cavities completely, it has a high R-value. The inert material doesn’t release harmful fumes like some other foam insulations.

• Solar Star attic exhaust fans from Solatube International have photovoltaic cells attached to the top of the unit and are powered by the sun. Though they cost more than traditional exhaust fans, installation is easy since no wiring is required, and there are never any operating costs.

• Majestic Slate plastic polymer roofing from EcoStar is manufactured from recycled rubber and plastic. It has the look of real slate with only half the weight and can stand up to hurricane force winds. Best of all it comes with a 50-year warrenty and can be recycled again when it wears out.

• HardiePlank® fiber cement siding from James Hardie Building Products is a green product that has become very popular in recent years. Made from cement, sand, cellulose fibers, and water; it is not only environmentally friendly but more extremely durable. It comes either primed or prefinished in a number of colors and is guaranteed for 50 years.

• SoundStop® is a sound deadening fiberboard from Knight-Celotex that is made from recovered hardwood and sugarcane fibers. The panels are attached to the studs before the drywall goes up and reduce the transmission of sound from the outside as well as between rooms.

Comments

10 Comments on “Green Products for Your Home”

• James Says:
    June 21st, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Got two fans from Costco this year. Can’t wait to see the results. Thanks for the info!

• Cindy N Says:
    July 8th, 2009 at 6:52 pm

I put in two of the solar attic fans from Solatube in my house last year. Made a huge difference in my energy bill. Thanks Danny!

• Phillip Bell Says:
    May 25th, 2009 at 6:58 am

Danny: We are a small community, Boerne, Texas, located in the Texas Hill Country.
    Recently we have gone “green” to encourage water and energy conservation, sustainability, recycling and promoting social responsibility.

We have encouraged non-profit organizations to participate in the process of promoting “green.” In return, we would like to add value and benefit our local charities by encouraging their members to buy and promote “green” products.

Can you recommend quality companies that would allow us to promote and sell their products allowing the non-profits to share in the revenue to help benefit the charity?

Any suggestions you can share would be appreciated.

• Lizah E Says:
    February 21st, 2009 at 12:10 am

I just researched one of the products listed on this page- Majestic slate- which seemed like a reasonable product that I would like to purchase.I’m an owner builder and feel I could probably do an excellent job installing this material myself. I am really sick of companies who require that their products be installed by a person who is liscenced by their company. This adds a whole layer of middle man, read money sucker. I am sick of the whole “representative” industry. I will not buy any product in the future that has such a scam attatched to it. Get real!

• Rick Says:
    February 9th, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Sir,
    Do you see any efforts to make products that would be more compatible with those of us who rent VS own. I do what I can(reuse, recycle even compost during warmer months) but seems most products are for homeowners. I do use solar products outside in gardens(lights and a pump for my pond) but would like to use more as electric bills are taking more every month, especially with a all electric apartment. Perhaps you have some thoughts?
    Thanks.

• Betsy Nusbaumer Says:
    January 31st, 2009 at 7:44 am

Just watched your segment about changing to floresent lighting on the Weather channel. While these bulbs require less energy to use, they are made with hazardous materials and should be disposed of properly, not just thrown out in the trash.

• Johnny Cahoon Says:
    March 18th, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Hey Danny, I met you at a party on Fish River a couple of years ago at Joe Hocklanders. I’m tore my old house down (just north of Joe) and i am rebuilding. My question is about foam insulation. The cost through a contractor is very expensive. Is this something that I can do myself? If so, what kind or brand do I use? (if you’d like to do a segment…)
    Thanks

February 25th, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Jay,
    Thanks for your feedback about soy foam insulation. It’s good to know it works so well.

• Jay Says:
    February 19th, 2008 at 6:40 pm

We had the soy foam insulation installed in our kitchen remodel, and are very pleased with the results! It’s been great this winter.. one of the harshest Chicago has seen for a long time.

• Kathy Balzer Says:
    February 8th, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Have you ever considered adding aluminum siding and Aluminum trim products to your green message. Aluminum building products can be recycled over and over while maintaining all of it’s original properties.