Danny Lipford Blog

Handy Andy Tool Kit Collection

In categories: Danny's Blog, Video

Several years ago I started collecting old Handy Andy tool kits, like the one I had growing up. I now have over 20 of them on a shelf in my office, ranging from the 1950s to the 1970s, and they really bring back memories. I purchased most of them from eBay for $10 to $20 or received them as gifts. Some have never been used and are in perfect condition while others have seen a lot of use.

Tags: ,

14 Comments on “Handy Andy Tool Kit Collection”

1. david dores Says:
    March 20th, 2010 at 10:36 am

Hi I had a Handy Andy Tool box Blue just like the one on your shelf about the middle of your collection. As I recall it was about 1950 or 1951 Any info you can give me regarding where it was produced, when, what it contained Pictures, etc would be appreciated. I used parts of that tool box until well into my teens and the saw was still around until my early 20′s
    I am 65 and it was my first tool collection.

2. eileen tucker Says:
    April 4th, 2010 at 12:50 am

I have found a wooden “Handy Andy” tool box in cleaning out my garage work shop. There are no tools in it. I’m a vintage 50′s-60′s lady who never heard of Handy Andy. Should I hold on to it as an antique? Or-Trash it? The box is in excellent shape. I couldn’t quite see anything like it in your video.

3. Louis Kent Says:
    May 23rd, 2010 at 8:37 pm

One of the Handy Andy tool sets was just given to my little boy as a gift. I was wondering if there is any concern about led paint poisoning if he was to play/use the set?

4. radford Says:
    December 31st, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Perhaps you can help me. I just got a Handy Andy tool kit for Christmas. I cannot figure out how the tools go into the case. Unfortunately the place where a model number and date would be was taped over by the thrift store and came off with the tape. I’ve looked at many pictures of sets on-line but cannot find the exact one I’ve got. It is not a #602 or #604. The 604 is closer.

It is in a wooden case with red label. The tools have blue paint. I have deduced that my set is missing a pair of pliers and the claw hammer. I think it might be missing a miter box and foldable ruler. I also have the blade for the miter saw and 4 other key hole type blades but they have no handle.

I have determine where the screw drivers(3) and chisels (3) should go. What is confusing me is the level and the brace. There is a curved notch on the handle side (would be top when case was being carried) but I cannot see how the brace would go there and still allow the other pieces (screwdrivers and chisels) to fit. I also have two awls that other kits seem to have a special insert for them that this set does not have.

Do you have a set that seems match for which you could show me the proper arrangement of the tools?

5. Earl Says:
    January 28th, 2011 at 9:41 am

i just purchased a handy dandy tool kit from someone, it is a 20 pc. carpenters set that is in a wooden case that has dovetail joints. all the tools are here and the case is in excellent condition as is the paper on the box that shows the contents as well as a picture of handy dandy holding a hammer. can anyone give me information on it’s age and what it may be worth? thanks!

6. Dianne Says:
    March 10th, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I just listed, 3/10/11, a Handy Andy Tool Set on eBay that I found at an estate sale. Thought you might be interested in it. Check it out.

7. Paul Says:
    March 19th, 2011 at 10:31 am

I received a Handy Andy wooden tool chest miniature tool set when I was 10~ YO for Xmas. It should NOT EVER be called a toy tool set, it was real with block plane, saw, hammer, level, screwdrivers… I have been looking to replace it myself for years. Tools had light blue handles, I belive it had a small miter box as well. I used it well into my teens and held onto it until a fire consumed much of my parent’s house when I was 23 YO and it became missing, I regret to say either destroyed or made off with by someone. Good luck to all those searching and collecting.

8. Richard Says:
    April 28th, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Hi Earl, I was given a similar Handy Andy carpentry Tool kit as a child and am prepping it for sale on ebay. it sounds like yours but mine only came with 14 tools in a wooden case with the big sticker on the front. Each tool has it’s own compartment, but the folding ruler and clamp are missing. Mine is a model 600 and it was made in Poland so I hope that makes it rare as I plan to ask $50-$100 for it. I used it for a while until i discovered that my dad’s tools were more effective.

9. al lepera Says:
    May 12th, 2011 at 7:47 am

I had a Handy Andy tool set also. Unlike my sister’s play kitchen my tool kit was useful beyond the realm of imagination. In a mindless trivia note the Handy Andy tool kit makes a cameo visit to the set of Hitchcock’s ” The Birds”. In the scene where Melanie Daniels arrives at Bodega Bay and proceeds to the general store to make inquiries- she engages the shopkeeper in conversation at his counter. The scene consists of a headshot of Ms. Daniels and the shopkeeper speaking, framed with a Handy Andy Toolkit in close backround. Handy Andy’s movie did not seem to have any adverse effects on this most utilitarian of childhood toys.

10. Diana Wurster Says:
    October 25th, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Mr.Lipford, My father William Wurster gave me a knife sharpening device and I thought that you might be interested. It is Handy Andy clamp with stone and handle that cranks the stone. The original color is red with a gold and red sticker on it that reads Handy Andy below that it reads N0 1 the rest of the sticker is in not so good shape. I see no dates or serial numbers. I have no Idea how to find anything about it so I found you can you help or are you interested in this Item I also have another sharpening kit in a blck boxthat reads Lansky Sharpeners with tools inside. If you are interested or know anything about it get back with me via Email Thank-you Diana Wurster

11. terry Says:
    November 9th, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Hi dan
    great collection you have there i received one for a birthday present when i was 5 yrs old my mom took it away from me with in the wk.! after i caused much damage around the house !!! I just bought tool set #192 20 pc wood case
    blue label and was wondering if you would have a photo of that one it is a gift for my grandson and if i can get a picture i can get a label made for it other than the label it is like brand new!

12. Roger Says:
    February 13th, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Nice collection, I’m trying to find one like I had when I was 4 years old, I even have a few of my orig tools. I just bought one and its wrong, what’s the measurements on the box w/ the dog house, but w/out the stripes, I just got that one and it is too small.

13. Mark Says:
    September 7th, 2013 at 10:51 am

I have a Handy Andy drill, would like to know about what year it was made, and about what its worth, just curious it was my Dads so won’t sell it.
    Its a Model 1-56 1/4 inch 1800 RPM Serial # 0009463. Works perfectly. I have the original red metal box and instruction manual all in pretty good shape.

14. Melissa Says:
    June 27th, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I have an old Handy Andy tool set. It belonged to an ex-boyfriend who left it w/ a bunch of other stuff that belonged to his grandfather. : ( I tried to return it but now I don’t know even how to reach him. I’d love it to go to someone that cares about it cuz I know his grandpa loved all that stuff and there is no family left. If you have any ideas – let me know.