925 How To Videos
How to Hang Bifold Closet DoorsBy: Danny Lipford
Sliding closet doors are a common feature in some older homes. They are not always the best choice, however, since they limit access to only half the closet at a time and have a tendency to come off the track at the most inopportune moment.
Replacing them with easy to open bifold doors allows full access to the closet space. Here’s how it’s done:
- Remove the old doors.
- Cut a board to cover the recessed track at the top and nail it in place.
- Measure the height and width of the opening.
- Purchase a set of doors to fit the opening. If the exact size isn’t available, buy the next larger size and plane or cut the doors to fit the opening.
- Install the track along the top of the doorway.
- Mark the location for the pivot points at the bottom of the door frame with a plumb bob.
- Align the floor brackets with the marks and attach them to the door frame.
- Insert the bottom pins in the floor brackets and the top pins in the track.
- Fine-tune the fit of the door by adjusting the pivot points at the top with a screwdriver.
- Paint or stain the doors.
- Drill holes for the knobs 36″ from the floor in the middle of the two center doors.
Please Leave a Comment
57 Comments on “How to Hang Bifold Closet Doors”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.