921 How To Videos
How to Add a Storm Door to Your HomeBy: Danny Lipford
Storm doors make a great addition to any home since they protect an exposed door from the weather, allow fresh air into your home, and insulate the doorway to save energy. They’re available at home centers in a range of styles, colors, and sizes.
To install a storm door on your home:
- Removing the retaining clips from the hinge frame.
- Measure the frame against the door jamb and cut the bottom of the aluminum frame to length using a hack saw.
- Attach the hinge side of the frame to the storm door using the supplied screws.
- Position the storm door unit on the door opening, and attach the hinge side of the frame to the door casing from the front and side with screws.
- Position and attach the latch side of the frame to the door casing with screws.
- Secure the top of the frame, or header, to the top of the door casing with screws.
- Slide the extender on the bottom of the storm door to ensure it’s sealed at the threshold.
- Mount the door latch and pneumatic closure device to the storm door, and adjust so the door opens and closes smoothly.
Watch this video to find out more.
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.