201 Around The Yard Videos
How to Choose Mulch for Your YardBy: Tricia Craven Worley
Choosing the right mulch for your yard depends on where it will be used as well as the composition of the mulch.
- Flower Beds: Use a light mulch that will decompose, such as shredded leaves.
- Trees and Shrubs: Use heavy mulch like wood bark.
- Paths: Heavy mulch, like bark, is best for paths.
- Acid Loving Plants: Since pine straw is acidic, use it around acid loving plants like azaleas and camellias.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Types of Mulch for Your Yard (video)
- Using Mulch in Your Garden (article)
- Tips for Using Mulch in Your Garden (video)
- How to Apply Mulch in Your Yard (video)
- How to Use Shredded Paper as Mulch (video)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Tricia Craven Worley: Choosing the right mulch for your garden is a lot like choosing the right garden tool for a job. Now, when I think about mulches, I think about all the varieties there are. There are fine mulches, like shredded leaves, all the way to really heavy ones, like wood bark.
When I’m thinking about mulching around my flower beds or roses, I really go to something that can decompose, like a shredded leaf, because after it decomposes I can just till it into the soil.
Now, if I want to put something around my trees or shrubs, I’m going to go closer to a heavier bark. Also, that would well on paths. This way after a season I can clear it away and then replenish it.
Now, also keep in mind how much area you have to cover, because the larger the area maybe you want to go to a heavier bark.
Also, think about what you’re mulching. In this instance we have pine needles around camellias and azaleas that love acid.
Depending on your area you’re going to have certain mulches available, so you want to look into it and see what’s best for you.