Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
How to Cover Over a Water Stain on a Ceiling
Water stains on a ceiling are usually caused by roof or plumbing leaks. Follow these steps when covering over a water stain on your ceiling. ...More
Water stains on a ceiling are usually caused by roof or plumbing leaks. Follow these steps when covering over a water stain on your ceiling:
- Start by finding the cause of the leak, and repairing the problem to prevent damage in the future.
- Purchase a spray can of stain blocking primer or sealer.
- Spray cans work better than a brush, especially on popcorn or textured ceilings.
- Apply a light coat of the stain blocking primer over the stain to cover it while avoiding dripping.
- If the primer doesn’t match the color of the ceiling, you may need to paint the entire ceiling once the primer has dried.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Homeowner’s Guide to Paint Primer (article)
- How to Choose the Right Paint Primer for Your Home (video)
- How to Tint Paint Primer Yourself (video)
Please Leave a Comment
2 Comments on “How to Cover Over a Water Stain on a Ceiling”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.