954 How To Videos
How to Enlarge a HoleBy: Joe Truini
It’s easy to drill a new hole, but how do you go about enlarging a hole that’s already there? This is a common problem when drilling a larger hole in a door for a new deadbolt or lockset.
To enlarge an existing hole:
- Cut two scraps of 1/2″ or thicker plywood, making them several inches larger than the hole.
- Mark the centerline of the existing hole on the edge of the door.
- Clamp the scraps of plywood above and below the hole.
- Extend the centerline of the hole across the top scrap of plywood.
- Measure from the edge of the door to the center of the hole, and mark it on the centerline.
- Chuck a hole saw in a drill and drill through the plywood and door.
Watch this video to see a simple way to get the job done in no time.
Please Leave a Comment
2 Comments on “How to Enlarge a Hole”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.