908 How To Videos
How to Hang Bikes in Your GarageBy: Danny Lipford
Bicycles can take up a lot of needed space when stored on the ground in a garage. To solve this problem, consider hanging bikes from the ceiling. Here’s how:
- Purchase heavy duty, plastic coated hooks from the home center to support the weight and prevent scratches on your bike.
- Locate the ceiling joist in the space above the garage where you plan to hang the bike by finding them in the attic and transferring these measurements to the garage wall, or by using a stud finder on the garage ceiling.
- Mark the location of the joist on the garage ceiling.
- Drill a pilot hole slightly smaller than the threads on the screw hooks and install on of the hooks.
- Measure the distance between the wheel centers on the bike and drill and install a second hook that distance from the first one to support both wheels of the bike in an inverted position.
- Repeat this process to hang more bikes.
- You can also add ceiling hooks attached to a chain and horizontal pipe for overhead plant storage.
Watch this video to find out more.
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.