Simple Solutions

How to Install a Rain Diverter

By: Joe Truini
Installing a sheet metal rain diverter on a roof.

Installing a sheet metal rain diverter on a roof.

Gutters are a common way to handle rain running off a roof, but if your house doesn’t have gutters, you can still keep rainwater away from doors by installing a rain diverter.

A rain diverter is a specially made piece of metal flashing available at home improvement centers that is used to divert rainwater away from a doorway. This not only keeps you from getting wet but prevents the door from deteriorating as well.

To install a rain diverter on your roof:

1. Start by cutting the flashing with tin snips about 2-3 feet longer than the doorway you want to protect.
  2. Next, carefully break the seal on a row of shingles above the doorway with a flat pry bar or putty knife.
  3. Slide the diverter under the row of loosened shingles.
  4. Tilt the rain diverter in the direction you would like the water to flow by angling one side down slightly.
  5. Lift the shingles up and tack the rain diverter down in several places using roofing nails.
  6. Finish up by putting a dab of roofing cement on each nail head to seal out water and help hold the shingles down.

Comments

6 Comments on “How to Install a Rain Diverter”

• GLORIA BINKOWITZ Says:
    April 26th, 2016 at 7:33 am

I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND HAVE A TILE ROOF. WATER RUNNING OFF THE ROOF OVER MY ENTRANCE DOOR IS LIKE NIAGARA FALLS. THE GUTTER IF USELESS. CAN A RAIN DIVERTER BE INSTALLED ON A TILE ROOF WITHOUT DAMAGING THE TILES?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

• george Says:
    September 15th, 2015 at 1:06 pm

I have a patio roof with 2 downspouts, one on each end. when it rains hard in FL, 90% of water comes out of only one downspout, very little if any comes out the other one. My question is can I block off one that takes 90% to force the water to go to the other side. I think the roof is pitched more in one direction. The 90% side runs back to patio flooding that side. I put a 6-foot downspout to run further out, but it drains back. not a pretty sight. thanks for any help.

• Larry Says:
    June 1st, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I tried to find the Rain Diverter at Home Depot, Lowes and two Ace Hardware stores. Home Depot did not have it near me. They had it closer to my parents home up in New England.

However, I went to the Home Depot near me and found that they sold a Roof Edge Flashing that when turned over is exactly what I needed to use as a rain diverter and each 10′ piece cost less than $5. Here is the information on the piece I used from HD:

Amerimax Home Products Model # 5500300120 Internet # 100032162 Store SKU # 625815
    B5 1/2 Aluminum Drip Edge
    $4.97 / each

June 18th, 2010 at 10:59 am

Hi Earl,
    You can send a picture of your diverter to ben@dannylipford.com

• E Earl Says:
    June 18th, 2010 at 7:07 am

May I send you a picture of a “diaverter” that was applied to my new guttering? I am no t pleased with the looks of it. Your input is appreciated.
    Thanks

• steve Says:
    February 21st, 2009 at 4:13 pm

thats a ice dam waiting to happen use a short gutter (dont use spikes use the screw in gutter hangers)