917 How To Videos
How to Install a Retractable Awning on Your HomeBy: Allen Lyle
Retractable awnings on a patio or deck allow you to control the amount of shade or sun either manually or with the touch of a button. They can be installed on the side of your house in a few hours to provide a shade canopy for up to 10 feet. Here’s how to go about installing a retractable awning:
- Mark the location of the awning on the side of the house, making sure it is level.
- Pop a caulk line to mark the position for the support brackets.
- Attach the brackets to the house even with the chalk line, making sure they are plumb.
- Lift the awning into place and bolt it to the brackets.
- For motorized awnings, plug the cord into an electrical outlet and use the remote control to extend and retract the awning.
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.