926 How To Videos
How to Install Laminate FlooringBy: Danny Lipford
Laminate flooring is a popular DIY option for homes. It mimics the look of more expensive flooring like hardwood with less expense and easier installation. To install a laminate floor:
- If you’re laying the floor directly on concrete, start by laying down a plastic vapor barrier to prevent moisture from ruining the floor over time.
- Spray adhesive is used to hold the plastic in place during installation.
- Lock the tongue and groove joints on each piece of laminate flooring together so the tongue on the new piece locks into the groove of the existing piece.
- Work from side to side and cut end pieces to fit the wall as needed.
- Since a laminate floor is a floating floor that expands and contracts with changes in temperature, it’s important to leave a 1/4″ gap between the floor and the wall which will later be covered by molding.
Laminate flooring costs around $4 a square foot; but since it’s so DIY friendly, there’s no installation cost which can be over half of other floor projects.
Watch this video to find out more.
Please Leave a Comment
3 Comments on “How to Install Laminate Flooring”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.