644-03-how-join-seams-granite-countertops

How to Join Seams in Granite Countertops

Seams in granite countertops are glued together using two-part epoxy. A special clamping system, known as a seam puller, uses a vacuum pump to attach blocks to each half of the countertop. The two sections are then pulled together with lever operated clamps until the glue sets. ...More

First Page
   page  1 of  50

How to Join Seams in Granite Countertops

granite countertop

15 Comments on “How to Join Seams in Granite Countertops”

1. countertop maker Says:
    June 11th, 2009 at 9:05 am

That tool is one of our favorites. Nothing gets seams tighter. Thanks Danny

2. Tom Says:
    July 15th, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I have no alternative but to replace kitchen base cabinets and want to salvage the granite countertops. What is best way to remove granite tops that are seamed together so as not to break granite.

3. AL Says:
    February 27th, 2010 at 11:48 am

Can you use some of the Silestone(ground up)in the epoxy to hide the seems in the counter tops?

4. jeanie Says:
    December 22nd, 2010 at 11:41 am

5. Gregg Kennedy Says:
    January 15th, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I am relocating a kitchen with granite tops. Is there a way to separate the seams to move the tops? Thanks

6. kathleen orloff Says:
    June 22nd, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I am looking for an inexpensive way to get a granite look. I have found tiles 18 x 31 with polished edges. Can these be seamed by using the 2 part epoxy or do I have to use grout? I am trying to make it less noticeable.

7. Official Comment:

June 30th, 2011 at 9:02 am

Hi Kathleen,
    I don’t see why you couldn’t join the granite together using standard two-part epoxy glue, if you clamped it securely while it dried, though I have never tried it. You could probably add a bit of powdered universal colorant to the glue to make the seam less noticeable. Good luck with your project!

8. Jamie Says:
    October 21st, 2011 at 3:03 pm

what is the best way to break a seamed joint on a granite counter top with out damaging as I want to reuse countertops but reconfigure them?

9. Jennel Says:
    December 11th, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I want to know the specific name of the epoxy that is used to join the granite seams. We are redoing our kitchen and working with a very tight budget so we are going to do the installations ourself.

10. Jamie Says:
    December 12th, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Jamie says
    will I ever get an answer to my question from anyone?

11. Official Comment:

December 12th, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Hi Jamie,
    I don’t know of any solvent that dissolves cured epoxy, but I’ve heard you can heat granite with a heat gun then apply outward pressure with vacuum clamps or by driving wood shims in the joint to separate them, but I haven’t tried it myself.

12. Liz Bradt Says:
    December 22nd, 2011 at 8:27 am

How can I clean over build of epoxy from granite counter after it has dried for a spell.

13. KC Says:
    January 16th, 2012 at 10:21 am

I had a granite countertop install that went wrong & had to be removed. The installer separated the seam by heating the seam from underneath using a propane torch, this basically melted the epoxy in the seam until it dripped like wax & any remaining epoxy was ground off before reinstallation of the granite. FYI

KC-Nashville,TN

14. John Hayward Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I am having trouble locating a place which rents seam setter/seam puller.
    I’ve checked several rental places and one recommended a tile store – no luck.

Chicago area or Benton Harbor/Kalamazoo MI area
    Any pointers would be appreciated.

15. Trevor Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 8:43 am

I’m having the same problem as Jeanie, but her question was not answered, please help:

“water is leaking at the seams of our granite countertop in our kitchen .what is the best product to repair this problem? thamk you!”

In my case, I can see that the seam is cracked. How do I repair this problem? Thanks,