689-4-how-keep-water-damaging-foundation-home

How to Keep Water from Damaging the Foundation of Your Home

Watch this video to find out the importance of proper drainage around the outside of your home to prevent water damage to your foundation, and what you can do to help correct drainage problems around your home.  ...More

First Page
   page  1 of  49

How to Keep Water from Damaging the Foundation of Your Home

Rainwater that doesn’t drain away from your foundation can cause moisture problems in basements and crawlspaces. To keep this from happening, check to see that the ground slopes away from the foundation of your home at least 6 inches over a distance of 10 feet.

Adding an extension on the bottom of gutter downspouts is another way to direct water away from the foundation. Also, make sure borders on flower beds have openings to allow rainwater to drain away from the house.

8 Comments on “How to Keep Water from Damaging the Foundation of Your Home”

1. Rhonda Jobson Says:
    December 14th, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Where the main water line comes into the house, during the hard rains this year in Georgia, water is seeping in around where the copper pipe comes into the cement wall (about 6 feet down …we had to dig it out when we had blue poly pipe that had to be replaced.) Any way to keep this from happening??

Thanks!! We love your show!!!!

2. Official Comment:

December 15th, 2009 at 9:10 am

Hi Rhonda,
    Caulk the pipe well on both inside and out.

3. via Says:
    March 5th, 2010 at 7:18 am

My house sets at the bottom of a little hill on our street. An when it rain our yard catch all the rain coming of the hill, an we have standing water in our yard. What can we do to stop the water from coming of the hill into our yard

4. Official Comment:

March 5th, 2010 at 9:29 am

Hi Via,
    Your best bet would be to grade your yard or create a small depression near your property line so the water is diverted away from your house long before it reaches it.

5. Shannon Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 6:24 pm

We have a house on a cement slab, no basement or crawl space. We had gardens installed with walls about 14 inches high and were going to fill them in with dirt. I know we need to slope the dirt away but our landscaper also said we need to put a plastic liner down against the house before filling with dirt. What do you think?

6. Pam Garcia Says:
    September 7th, 2012 at 11:29 am

I have noticed several cracks on the floor and our ceiling. This cracks are more evident this past year. The hous is 13 1/2 yrs old. No basement on cement foundation.Our subdivion has always had problems with flooding/drainage. the city has tried several times to correct this issue. Our house is in the corner of where all the rainwater that does not drain collects. Can the city be held responsible for the structural damage I am having and if so how do I go about taking care of the matter. Thanks

7. Diana Says:
    November 7th, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I have a neighbor who’s trying to grow grass in his backyard. They water everyday for hours. The side of my house has standing water from 4-8″constantly. My husband has tried to speak to them about this and has been met with resistance. I called the city where I live and was told there isn’t any laws or codes about watering your lawn. They were no help at all. We explained to them about damage to our fence and foundation. Then they got mad and when my husband went out of town, his father-inlaw, cussed me out and threatened me and said they would drown our property. What can I do? I’ve got an autoimmune disease and West Nile Virus is a problem where we live! Any advice on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

8. Robin Says:
    May 2nd, 2013 at 6:40 am

Danny, my neighbors lawn is low and floods my backyard whenever there is rain, can I build a retaining wall or flood wall of sorts to keep the bulk of the water in their yard? Thx