Around the Yard
How to Mark a Curved Arc Border for a Flower Bed
By: Danny Lipford
To mark a perfect arc when laying out a border for a flower bed, all you need is a gutter spike, tape measure or string, and a can of marking paint. Here’s how to go about it:
- Insert the gutter spike through the end of a measuring tape or tie the string to it.
- Push the gutter spike into the ground at the desired distance from the border. The further the spike is from the border, the more gradual the curve of the arc.
- Pull the tape measure or string taut at the desired location for the border.
- Hold a can of white marking paint against the tape measure or string, and mark the line.
White marking paint works best, since other colors may be used by utility companies to mark the location of buried wires or pipes. Watch this video to find out more.
- Flour Layout Lines (video)