380 Simple Solutions Videos
How to Mark Keys for Easy IdentificationBy: Joe Truini
To make it easy to find the most used keys on your key ring:
- Color Code Key Head: Paint both sides of the head of the key with brightly colored nail polish. Use a different color for each key, or just mark the most used key.
- File Notch in Key Head: Use a triangular file to cut a small (1/8″ deep) notch in the head of your most used key, so you can find it by feel, even in the dark.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Fix a Sticky Door Lock (video)
- Choosing a Deadbolt Door Lock (video)
- How to Make Your Home Secure from Burglary (article)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Joe Truini: It seems the older I get, the more keys I carry around. Between the car, the house, the shed, the garage, wind up with a whole pocket full of keys. And finding the key that I use all the time, in this case, the backdoor, is not always easy because of all the keys. So, here’s a trick I came up with that works really well.
Get nail polish, get a nice bright color, and paint both sides of the key. This is extremely durable. You’ll be surprised, it lasts a lot longer than spray paint would. And then, you know, it’s very easy to find that key among the others.
Here’s another trick that works just as well. Take a triangular shaped file, and file a small notch in the edge of the key that you use all the time. In this case, this one’s for the front door. You don’t need much of a notch—something only about an eighth of an inch deep—but you can really feel that very easily with your finger. Even in the dark, you don’t even need to see it, you can just feel it with your finger.
Now with these two tips, you won’t be carrying around any less keys, but you will be able to find the key you want a whole lot faster.