910 How To Videos
How to Prevent Your Dog from Digging Under a Gate or FenceBy: Joe Truini
If you keep your dog in a fenced in backyard, chances are that he’ll try to dig his way to freedom. Dogs often dig under a gate, since there’s has a gap under it to allow the gate to swing open.
To prevent your dog from digging under a gate:
- Cut a pressure treated 4” x 4” landscape timber so it fits tightly between the gate posts.
- Dig a trench across the gate opening as deep as the thickness of the timber.
- Position the timber in the gate opening so there is just a small gap between the timber and bottom of the gate.
- Secure the timber in place by toenailing galvanized nails or screws through each end of the timber into the gate posts.
- Backfill the trench with dirt so the ground is level.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Reinforce a Fence Gate to Keep It from Sagging (video)
- How to Set Fence Posts in Your Yard (video)
- Choosing the Right Fence (article)
- Fences: Surrounding Your Surroundings (video/article)
- Installing a Fence (article)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.