Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
How to Prune a Climbing Rose Vine
A climbing rose vine looks great on the side of a home, but if you don’t know how to prune it correctly, you could stunt the plant’s growth or kill it. Watch this video for some helpful tips to keep your climbing rose vine healthy. ...More
How to Prune a Climbing Rose VineBy: Tricia Craven Worley
A climbing rose vine looks great on the side of a home, but if you don’t know how to prune and care for it properly, you could stunt the plant’s growth or kill it. Here are a few tips to keep your rose vine healthy:
- Don’t prune a climbing rose all the way back, since it will kill the plant.
- Prune a climbing rose around February, before the growing season starts.
- Prune off lateral branches and last year’s growth on climbing roses to promote new growth.
- Shape the outer branches of a climbing rose to train it to grow against the wall or other surface and promote vertical growth.
- Remove rose hips from last year’s growth, and use the seeds to grow new climbing rose vines.
Watch this video to find out more.
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.