Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
How to Reinforce a Fence Gate to Keep It from Sagging
A section of preassembled fencing can be used as a gate as long as extra reinforcement is used. Watch this video to find out how to reinforce a gate to keep it from sagging. ...More
How to Reinforce a Fence Gate to Keep It from SaggingBy: Danny Lipford
There are several ways to reinforce a fence gate to keep it from sagging. A section of preassembled fencing can be used as a gate as long as extra reinforcement is used. Here’s how to go about it:
- Cut the panel to the correct size for the gate opening.
- Rip 2” thick pressure treated lumber to the width of the existing rails (stringers) on the gate.
- Lay the gate on a flat surface, and square it up.
- Measure the distance between the top and bottom rails.
- Cut the boards to length so they are a tight fit between the rails on each end of the gate.
- Secure the two vertical framing boards even with each end of gate using corrosion resistant screws.
- Measure and cut a diagonal support board to fit snuggly inside the opposing corners of the gate frame.
- Screw the diagonal support in place to transfer the weight of the gate to the hinge side and keep the gate from sagging.
- Screw the pickets to the diagonal gate support to provide more support strength.
- In addition, wide gates can be reinforced using an anti-sag kit consisting of two corner brackets, a steel cable, and a turnbuckle to tighten the cable as needed.
Watch this video to find out more.
Please Leave a Comment
2 Comments on “How to Reinforce a Fence Gate to Keep It from Sagging”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.