Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
How to Reinforce a Porch Roof Against Wind Damage
Adding a large covered patio to a waterfront home in a hurricane zone required extensive reinforcement of the framing to allow it to stand up to high winds. This included specially fabricated steel posts that were bolted to the slab and support beams, as well as metal saddle hangers to secure the ceiling joists and rafters. ...More
How to Reinforce a Porch Roof Against Wind DamageBy: Danny Lipford
Adding a large covered patio to a waterfront home in a hurricane zone required extensive reinforcement of the framing to allow it to stand up to high winds, including:
- Custom steel column posts that were fabricated on the jobsite, then bolted to the concrete slab and support beams for added security.
- Hurricane straps and metal saddle hangers to attach the ceiling joists and rafters to the support beams.
- Covering the ceiling with 1/2″ plywood to prevent racking.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Make Your Home More Wind Resistant (video)
- How to Reinforce a Home Against Wind Damage (video)
- Against the Wind: Reinforcing a Sunroom Addition (video/article)
- Boarding Up: Hurricane Storm Panels for Your Home (article)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.