907 How To Videos
How to Repair and Seal an Asphalt DrivewayBy: Danny Lipford
Asphalt driveways can develop cracks and deteriorate over time. To keep your driveway in good shape, it’s important to clean, repair, and seal it every few years.
It’s best to work on an asphalt driveway during warm weather so the repair material and sealer will set faster. Be sure to fill all cracks and holes to keep rainwater from penetrating through the asphalt.
To repair and seal an asphalt driveway:
- Edge the driveway and remove any grass or dirt.
- Make sure it’s draining properly so rainwater doesn’t pool on the driveway.
- Clean the surface and any cracks with pressure washer.
- Use stiff broom to remove any remaining dirt or debris.
- Allow surface to dry.
- Use a cold set asphalt repair patch material to fill any large cracks or holes and tamp it down.
- Fill small cracks with asphalt crack repair material in a caulking tube or bottle applicator.
- Apply a thin coat of paste patch material to pitted surfaces and allow it to set.
- Apply an oil spot primer to oil stains so the sealer will adhere properly.
- Allow the patching material to set.
- Use drill attachment to stir sealer thoroughly.
- Apply the sealer, starting from the high end of the driveway, and spread it out smooth with a squeegee.
- Allow sealer to dry (5-6 hours), then apply a second coat if needed.
- Allow 24-48 hours drying time before driving on driveway.
The asphalt repair products used in this video, were made by Latex·ite®.
Please Leave a Comment
2 Comments on “How to Repair and Seal an Asphalt Driveway”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.