Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
How to Repair Sagging Gutters
Watch this video to see how to fix sagging and loose gutters by replacing gutter spikes with gutter screws, which provide more holding power. ...More
How to Repair Sagging GuttersBy: Danny Lipford
Sagging gutters are often the result of gutter spikes pulling loose from the fascia board they’re nailed into. Rather than hammering gutter spikes back in; replace them with gutter screws, which provide additional holding power.
To replace gutter spikes with gutter screws:
- Tighten Gutter Screw: Use a cordless drill to screw the gutter screw through a new hole in the back of the gutter and into the fascia board. Be careful not to damage the gutter by over tightening the screw.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Replace Gutter Spikes with Gutter Screws (video)
- How to Clean Gutters and Downspouts (video)
- How to Unclog and Clean Downspouts on Gutters (video)
- The Trouble with Gutters (article)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Sagging gutters are unsightly and can lead to leaks. Often the spike that secures them to the fascia board has simply worked loose. The best solution is to replace it with a gutter screw. The screw is inserted through the gutter and ferrule and then driven into the fascia board, deep enough to support the gutter but not too deep to collapse it.