Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
How to Replace Aluminum Windows with Vinyl Windows on Your Home
Watch this video to find out how to remove aluminum frame windows and replace them with low-maintenance, energy efficient, vinyl covered windows with insulated glass. ...More
How to Replace Aluminum Windows with Vinyl Windows on Your HomeBy: Danny Lipford
Old aluminum frame, single pane windows are not very attractive or energy efficient. Here’s how to remove aluminum frame windows and replace them with low-maintenance, energy efficient, vinyl covered windows with insulated glass:
- Have new vinyl frame windows custom sized to fit each existing window opening. For higher energy efficiency, choose windows that have argon or krypton gas between the panes, and a low-E coating on the glass.
- Use a utility knife to cut through the caulking and paint around the perimeter of the windows, both inside and outside the house, to make removal easier and minimize any damage to the trim.
- Remove any screws holding the windows to the flange.
- Tap the frame around the windows with a block of wood from the inside to push them out of the opening, being careful not to break the glass.
- Once the windows have been removed, use a hammer and chisel to remove the metal flange around the openings.
- Install new vinyl windows in each opening.
- Use a level, square, and shims to make sure the windows are plum, square, and level.
- Drive screws through the window casing into the framing around the opening to secure the new windows.
- Caulk the windows to seal any gaps, and apply trim between the window and opening.
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.