960 How To Videos
How to Replace Broken Sash Weight Cords on WindowsBy: Danny Lipford
To replace a broken window sash weight cord:
- Cut through the old paint on the window trim with a utility knife.
- Carefully remove the window facing using a flat pry bar.
- Cut away a section of wallboard to access the cord and weight.
- Clean out the sash weight compartment and remove any obstructions blocking it in the wall cavity.
- Check and oil the sash weight pulley to be sure it turns freely.
- Replace the sash cord.
- Reinstall the window facing on the window.
Watch this video to find out more.
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.