910 How To Videos
How to Score and Acid Stain a Concrete Slab Porch or PatioBy: Allen Lyle
Scoring lines and acid staining a concrete porch or patio can really serve to dress it up and give your outdoor space a more finished look. Here’s how to go about it.
Score Lines in Concrete Slab
- Decide on a scoring pattern for the concrete slab.
- Layout the pattern on the concrete using a chalk line.
- Equip a circular saw with a diamond tipped masonry blade, and set the depth of cut on the saw to 1/4” deep.
- Score the lines in the concrete using a straight board or piece of plywood as a guide for the saw. Be sure to wear eye protection and a dust mask when scoring concrete.
- Rinse the concrete slab with a garden hose to remove the dust.
Acid Stain Concrete Slab
- Clean the concrete thoroughly with a scrub brush to remove any dirt or oil and rinse off any residue with a garden hose.
- Cover any surrounding surfaces to prevent damage to unstained areas.
- Spray the slab down lightly with water from a garden hose to dampen the concrete.
- Pour an acid stain, such as Quikrete Etching Stain, into a pump-up sprayer. Be sure to wear protective clothing and goggles, and follow all safety instructions on the container.
- Apply the acid stain evenly to the concrete slab, using a piece of plywood to keep the stain off unwanted areas.
- Allow the acid stain to remain on the concrete overnight.
- Once the stain has remained on the concrete for the recommended amount of time, apply a mixture of baking soda and water with a scrub brush to neutralize the acid in the stain.
- Use a wet-dry vacuum to remove any acid stain and baking soda residue.
- When the concrete has dried, apply a finish such as Quikrete Etching Stain High Gloss Sealer to protect the stained surface and give the concrete a finished look the job.
Watch this video to find out more.
Please Leave a Comment
13 Comments on “How to Score and Acid Stain a Concrete Slab Porch or Patio”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.