Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
Installing a Dimmer Switch
Replacing a standard wall switch with a dimmer switch is a great way to improve the lighting in your home. Watch this video to find out how to replace a wall switch with a dimmer switch. ...More
Installing a Dimmer SwitchBy: Danny Lipford
Replacing a standard wall switch with a dimmer switch is a great way to improve the lighting in your home. To replace a wall switch with a dimmer switch:
- Turn off the power to the light and switch at the circuit breaker or fuse box.
- Remove the cover on the existing light switch.
- Unscrew the existing light switch and detach the wires.
- Attach the black dimmer switch wire to the hot wire and the white dimmer switch wire to the common wire, following the instructions that came with the switch.
- Attach the dimmer switch ground wire to the ground wire in your house.
- Screw the dimmer switch into the wall box.
- Attach the cover to the dimmer switch.
- Turn the power to the circuit back on, and test the switch.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Install a Dimmer Switch (video)
- How to Install a Programmable Timer Switch (article)
- How to Install a Chandelier and Dimmer Switch (video/article)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Before doing any electrical work, make sure the circuit is turned off at the fuse or breaker panel. Next, remove the existing light switch and disconnect the wires. The hot wires will be connected to the black wires from the dimmer with wire nuts while the common wires are connected together with another wire nut. Now you’re ready to mount the dimmer in the box and turn the power back on so you can check it for proper operation.