911 How To Videos
Installing a Paddle Ceiling FanBy: Danny Lipford
Paddle fans are a great way to keep cool; and when used properly, ceiling fans can save energy in your home.
To replace an existing light fixture with paddle ceiling fan:
- Turn off the power to the light fixture at the circuit breaker or fuse box.
- Unscrew the existing light fixture, and disconnect the wires.
- Check the electrical box to make sure it can support the weight of the fan, and reinforce the box if necessary.
- Attach the fan wires to the wiring in your house, following the manufacturer’s instructions that came with the fan.
- Hang the fan motor on the ceiling hook.
- Install the fan trim molding on the fan pipe near the ceiling.
- Attach the fan blades to the arms on the fan motor.
- Turn the power back on, and test the fan.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Install a Ceiling Fan (video)
- How to Fix an Out of Balance Ceiling Fan (video)
- How to Stop Wobble in a Paddle Ceiling Fan (article)
- How to Repair a Ceiling Fan Pull Chain Switch (article)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
To install a ceiling fan, you must first be sure that the electrical box is sturdy enough to support the weight of the moving fan. Most start with a mounting plate that attaches to the electrical box. Often the plate has a hook to hang the fan motor on while you make the electrical connections according to the fan’s instructions.
Then you’ll mount the motor to the plate permanently before assembling the fan blades and attaching them to the motor. If a light kit is included, it will go on last, again wiring it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.