926 How To Videos
How to Install an Outdoor Security LightBy: Danny Lipford
Replacing your existing yard lights with ones that contains motion sensors will not only enhance security but provide needed illumination automatically when you come home at night. Since this DYI project involves some basic electrical work, it is a good idea to check any bare wires with a voltage tester before handling them.
To replace your existing outdoor security light fixture:
- Start by turning on the existing yard light and making sure it is working.
- Turn off the circuit breaker to the fixture and check to be sure the light has gone off.
- Remove the old light fixture and unscrew the wire nuts holding the wires together in a counterclockwise direction.
- Attach a bracket to the box to accommodate the center mounting point of the new fixture.
- Pair each wire in the new fixture with the same color wire from the box, and screw on wire nuts in a clockwise direction to hold them in place. Be sure to ground the fixture as well.
- Attach the fixture to the box, using the rubber gasket include with it to provide a waterproof seal.
- Set the sensitivity and duration of the motion sensor.
Please Leave a Comment
15 Comments on “How to Install an Outdoor Security Light”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.