911 How To Videos
Installing Bifold DoorsBy: Danny Lipford
Installing bifold doors on a closet or other opening is a fairly simple DIY project. Depending on the width of the opening, one or two pairs of bifold doors may be needed.
To install bifold doors:
- Take down any existing sliding or hinged doors.
- Measure the width and height of the opening and buy bifold doors to fit.
- If needed, trim the outer edges of the bifold doors slightly to fit the opening using a plane or circular saw with fence.
- Install the bifold door track on the top of the door casing.
- Attach the bifold door brackets to the bottom of the door casing.
- Attach the guide and bracket pins in the predrilled holes in the top and bottom of the bifold doors.
- Set the bifold doors in the top track and bottom brackets.
- Adjust the top and bottom pivot points so there is an even gap between the bifold doors and side door casings, and the doors open and close properly
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Hang Bifold Closet Doors (video/article)
- How to Reverse and Rehang Bifold Doors (article)
- How to Install Pocket Doors (article)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
The first step to installing a bifold door is attaching the track to the header, or top, of the door frame. Next, you’ll need to install the lower pivot points on the floor directly below the track on either side of the opening. You’ll want to use a plumb bob to get the location just right.
The door then sets into the lower pivot point and snaps into the upper pivot in the track. The upper pivot can be adjusted along the track until the door is aligned properly.