926 How To Videos
Maintaining a Wood DeckBy: Danny Lipford
To properly maintain a wood deck, it needs to be cleaned and refinished from time to time. Here’s how to go about it:
- Apply a deck cleaning solution using a pump up sprayer.
- Allow the solution to work for the recommended time.
- Clean the deck using a scrub brush or power washer.
- Rinse off the cleaner using a garden hose with spray attachment.
- Allow the deck to dry thoroughly.
- Apply a clear deck sealer or deck stain to the wood.
- Allow the finish to dry thoroughly before using the deck.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Clean and Finish a Wood Deck (video/article)
- How to Maintain a Wood Deck (video)
- How to Clean Between Deck Boards (video)
- How to Clean Outdoor Patio and Deck Furniture (article/video)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
A wood deck needs to be cleaned regularly to maintain its integrity and beauty. Apply a deck cleaning solution to the wood after it’s damp with a pump up sprayer, and let it work for several minutes before you begin work.
You can use a stiff scrub brush or a pressure washer to clean the surface. If you use a pressure washer, be careful not to gouge the wood with a stream that’s too narrow or too close to the surface. Once the deck is dry, apply a clear sealer or a stain to protect the wood and delay the need for the next cleaning.