Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
Paver Patio Sand Base Leveling Tip
Watch this video to find out how to level the sand base for a paver patio using metal pipes and a screed board. ...More
Paver Patio Sand Base Leveling TipBy: Advertiser
Laying a paver patio makes a great DIY project that can improve the look of your yard and increase the value of your home.
When laying a paver patio, it’s important to start with a firm base composed of compactable material, such as crushed limestone, topped by sand.
To level the sand base for a paver patio:
- Add 1” of sand on top of firm base material.
- Place two level pieces of metal pipe flush with the top of the sand base.
- Run a straight board over the pipes to screed off any excess sand.
- Remove the pipes and fill the voids with sand.
This tip brought to you by:
- Tips for Laying a Paver Patio (video)
- How to Lay a Paver Patio (video/article)
- How to Build a Brick Paver Patio (video)
- Installing a Paver Patio (video)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Creating your own paver patio is a great way to improve the looks of your backyard and the value of your home. The key to achieving a smooth, level surface for the pavers is preparing a solid base, followed by a layer of sand.
To ensure that the sand is a consistent depth, lay two pieces of metal pipe in the space and screed the sand off level with the top of them. Then you can remove the pipe and fill in the voids with a little more sand. Once the pavers are laid, the surface will be flat and even.
This tip brought to you by Pavestone: Creating Beautiful Landscapes.