Home Improvement Expert Danny Lipford

704-tg-burning-newspaper-logs

Problems with Burning Newspaper Logs in Your Fireplace


While you might think that rolling up newspapers to burn in your fireplace would be an eco-friendly idea, hand rolled logs are not compressed enough to burn effectively and can actually cause damage to your chimney flue, pose a potential fire hazard, and harm the environment. Rather than burning them, a better alternative is to recycle old newspapers.  ...More




    First Page
   page  1 of  6    

Problems with Burning Newspaper Logs in Your Fireplace

By:

While you might think that rolling up newspapers to burn in your fireplace would be an eco-friendly idea, hand rolled logs are not compressed enough to burn effectively and can actually cause damage to your chimney flue, pose a potential fire hazard, and harm the environment. Rather than burning them, a better alternative is to recycle old newspapers.



Please Leave a Comment

One Comment on “Problems with Burning Newspaper Logs in Your Fireplace”

You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.

  1. Liam Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 6:35 am

    I’ve been using both a wet paper log maker and a cylinder type dry paper log maker for many years now and I haven’t even had to clean the chimney..very eco friendly

We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.

Would you believe that sometimes, thinking green is not such a good idea? Making paper logs for your fireplace is one of those times. In theory, this is pretty green. You take several sheets of newspaper and roll them tight until you have a cylinder about three to four inches in diameter, and you’ve got a log for the fireplace without having to cut down a single tree. Very eco-friendly, right? But here’s the problem. The only way newspaper can burn effectively is to machine-compress it. Otherwise, it burns too hot and fast, and that can damage your flue. Plus, if you’ve ever seen paper burning outside, you know how much ash it throws into the air, and those hot pieces can actually start an unwanted fire by igniting the creosote build-up in your chimney. So before you start thinking you’re doing Mother Nature a favor, think again. The best thing to do with those old newspapers is to recycle, not burn.