926 How To Videos
Proper Way to Clean a PaintbrushBy: Joe Truini
Quality paintbrushes do a much better job than cheap brushes, and they can last a lifetime as long as you take good care of them. Here’s how to go about cleaning and storing a paintbrush after use:
- Clean the brush thoroughly in the proper solvent while the paint is still wet.
- Follow up by cleaning again with dishwashing soap and warm water.
- Use a brush comb to straighten out the bristles and work loose any dried paint.
- Return the brush to the cover it came in or wrap it in paper, making sure the bristles are flat and straight.
- Hold the paper in place with tape or a rubber band around the metal ferrule of the brush, not the bristles.
- If the brush was still wet when you wrapped it up, remove the damp paper the following day and rewrap it in dry paper.
Watch this video to find out more.
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.