Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
How to Refinish Furniture
Refinishing furniture is a great do-it-yourself project, through it can be messy. Watch this video to find out how you can give new life to a worn out piece of furniture. ...More
How to Refinish FurnitureBy: Danny Lipford
Refinishing furniture is a great do-it-yourself project, through it can be messy. A chemical stripper is the quickest way to remove old finishes. Follow the directions and safety instructions on the container, and use a gel or paste on vertical surfaces.
Apply stripper Remove residue Clean with solvent
Steps for stripping and refinishing furniture:
- Apply liquid stripper to the old finish, and leave it on for the specified time.
- After the finish is soft, scrap off the old finish with a putty knife.
- Rub the surface down with steel wool or a plastic scouring pad dipped in the recommended solvent to remove the remaining finish and stripper.
- Sand the furniture starting with coarse grit sandpaper and working up to a fine grit.
- Apply a penetrating stain the piece. After a few minutes, wipe off any excess stain, and allow it to dry. Though they’re messy, rags give greater control than brushes when applying stain.
- Topcoat with several coats of a clear, built-up finish such as polyurethane.
Sand stripped surface Stain furniture Finish furniture
For more information, see our article on The Proper Approach to Refinishing Old Furniture.
Please Leave a Comment
One Comment on “How to Refinish Furniture”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.