904 How To Videos
How to Refinish and Restore an Entry DoorBy: Danny Lipford
Entry doors take a lot of abuse from the elements. If yours is looking a bit shabby, perhaps it’s time to dress it up by refinishing and replacing the hardware. By following these simple steps, you can turn an eyesore into the envy of the neighborhood
Steps in refinishing an entry door:
- Use a hammer and nail to remove the hinge pins.
- Take the door off its hinges. Entry doors can be heavy, so have someone on hand to help you carry it.
- Lay the door on padded sawhorses in the garage with the outer side facing up.
- Remove the old hardware and sand the finish or paint down using 80 grit sandpaper followed by finer grits.
- Stain the door followed by two coats of exterior polyurethane. Or, if you prefer, prime and paint it.
- Install a new brass kick plate and doorknocker while the door is still on the sawhorses.
- Rehang the door and install a new lockset and deadbolt.
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.