Simple Solutions

How to Remove Grease from Kitchen Cabinets

By: Joe Truini
Joe Truini using hot sponge to clean grease off kitchen cabinets.

Joe Truini using hot sponge to clean grease off kitchen cabinets.

To cut through grease on kitchen cabinets without harsh cleaners:

1. Heat a damp sponge in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds.
  2. Spray the cabinet with a citrus based cleaner
  3. Wearing dishwashing gloves to avoid burning your hands, take the hot sponge out of the microwave, and use it to remove the grease.
  4. Wipe off any remaining residue with a paper towel.

The combination of the citrus cleaner and hot sponge will remove the grease in half the time without harmful chemicals.

9 Comments on “How to Remove Grease from Kitchen Cabinets”

• Zach Says:
    September 8th, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Have to agree with the 2 Ladies. Doris and Jessica. The grease got worse with the oranges and water even with the hottest sponge I could use with the heavy gloves. I did order the Victorian House Rejuvenator- they had a special with shipping in August that had 2 bottles of the Rejuvenator and the Applicators. The stuff is great.. it cuts grease and leaves the shine and even though it doesnt smell as good as the Oranges it worked like a miracle. Gotta say I will be using it on a house have to sell for my parents that has a lot of Nicotene buildup. Thanks for a great product and in case you need the web address its I do love that its an Oklahoma product too, even though im from Texas. Zach

• Jessica Says:
    July 28th, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Just wanted to let you know I tried this orange stuff and it left my cabinets white and streaked so after looking at them for several weeks I decided to look at the website Doris Miller suggested and ended up ordering 2 bottles of the Rejuvenator. It worked like magic on the cabinets and guess what else, my antiques and front door that was looking dry. I love this stuff. Just wanted to share. JMT

• Frank Says:
    May 5th, 2016 at 6:28 am

After trying everything I could read about, think of and experiment with, I ended up using a brillo pad to remove 7 years of grease and grime. Continuous scrubbing was not necessary. It came right off. I was trying to prepare cabinets for staining and even sanding was wearing me out. Sandpaper would get all gummed up and still be sticky. A fingernail could scrape off the original stain but would still leave sticky residue.

• Doris Miller Says:
    April 21st, 2016 at 9:28 am

I dont know if you are aware of a product called The Victorian House Wood Finish Rejuvenator but it is the Best grease cutter and it put oil In the finish to bring back the shine and eliminate any scratches and white faded areas too. It was invented for antiques in the 80’s and used to be hard to find but they are on the web now. If you want to read about it heres the address. I have used it for years myself .

December 27th, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Hi Chele,
    The product we used to remove mold was Wet & Forget Indoor Mold+Mildew Disinfectant Cleaner. You can find out more in the episode article for the show at

• Chele Says:
    December 26th, 2015 at 11:58 am

I watched the Dec. 26th show on moisture and mold. What was the name of the mold spray. I need help with mold in my bathroom and have tried sprays that have not worked. Your brand came off in a snap. Thank you.

• m. smoot Says:
    June 30th, 2015 at 11:58 am

Just wanted to say that the key is the ‘heat’. I’ve been cleaning for forty years and the combination of HOT & soapy (I used plain old dish soap) on a Dobie pad (i used the store brand) is the key. Soap up the Dobie then heat in microwave for 20 seconds. Don’t forget the gloves! Rinse with a warm rag. Dry with paper towels. If necessary repeat. Surface is grease free! 🙂 THANKS!

joe t. Says:
    January 22nd, 2010 at 10:12 am

You’re very welcome, Sue. I’m glad this cabinet-cleaning tip worked for you. As I mentioned, I think it’s the combination of the hot, steamy sponge and citrus-based cleanser that cuts the grease–without harming the cabinet’s finish. Using just one or the other wouldn’t be nearly as effective. Thanks for writing and good luck!–JT

• Sue Says:
    January 22nd, 2010 at 9:51 am

I tried everything I could (five different cleaning products with lots of elbow grease, vinegar, dish soap) and I was about ready to just strip the varnish and redo the cabinets, but then I found this idea. I have dark cherry wood cabinets and the grease is very noticeable, the vent doesn’t circulate the air well enough to get the grease into it, so the oils are just all over the top cabinets and this trick, with a moderate amount of elbow grease, just wiped away all the oil that had splattered and finally got my wood cleaner to the wood itself. The cabinets look new again, thank you so much for this tip!!!

We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at