916 How To Videos
How to Repair Cracked Brick Mortar JointsBy: Danny Lipford
To repair missing or cracked mortar joints on a brick wall:
- Mix Mortar: Mix up a batch of matching colored mortar in a bucket or wheelbarrow.
- Clean Mortar Joints: Use a chisel or screwdriver to remove any loose mortar from the mortar joints.
- Fill Mortar Joints: Use a grout bag, trowel, or wood stick to force the mortar in the gaps.
- Remove Excess Mortar: Remove any excess mortar and mortar on the bricks.
- Let Mortar Set: Allow the mortar to dry.
Watch this video to find out more.
Please Leave a Comment
2 Comments on “How to Repair Cracked Brick Mortar Joints”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
To repair brick cracks, you’ll need to mix up a batch of mortar that matches the mortar on your house. Then clean the repair area to remove any loose material. Using a grout bag, narrow trowel or wood stick force the mortar into the voids. Be careful to remove any that spills over onto the bricks. As the mortar dries you can sculpt it match the surrounding joints so the repair is invisible.