Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
Retractable Screens Bring the Outside In
Retractable screens are a great way to keep insects out when closed while allowing an unobstructed view when the screens are open. Watch this video to find out more. ...More
Retractable Screens Bring the Outside InBy: Danny Lipford
Retractable screens, such as those from Phantom Screens, have many advantages over fixed screens, including:
- Can be closed or lowered to keep out insects, and opened or raised to provide an unobstructed view of the outdoors.
- May be fitted with solar screen to reduce the amount of sunlight and heat.
- Can also be custom made to fit doors, windows, or larger opening such as porches.
Go to our Summer Survival Guide for more summer related home and yard tips, projects, severe weather info, and more!
- Advantages of Retractable Screens for Covered Decks and Porches (video)
- Installing Retractable Screens on a Porch (video)
- Framing for Retractable Screens on a Porch (video)
- Pleated Retractable Screen for Doors Saves Space (video)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Danny Lipford: Now most people want to combine the inside and the outside of the home, which is real easy when you have a retractable screen like this. It’s basically invisible. It’ll fold right out of the way. But it gives you an opportunity to keep your home a little cooler and keep all those insects out of the house. And this Phantom screen system is so flexible you can use it on almost any opening on your home.
Beyond doors and windows retractable screens can be added to larger openings to provide the same protection from bugs to even bigger spaces like patios, porches and decks. And when the weather really heats up bugs aren’t the only thing these screens keep out, because Phantom offers solar screen options that block heat gain as well. That effectively converts these areas into usable living space for three seasons of the year without the intrusion of a permanent fixed screen structure to block the view or detract from the home’s architecture.