Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
How to Seal and Paint a Garage Floor
If your garage floor has seen better days, you might want to consider sealing and painting it. Watch this video to find out how to give your garage floor a new look with a two-part epoxy paint kit. ...More
How to Seal and Paint a Garage FloorBy: Danny Lipford
If your garage floor has seen better days, you might consider sealing it. While there are many products available, we used a two-part epoxy kit from Rust-Oleum. The kit contains everything you need to have your garage floor looking like new including cleaner, two-part epoxy coating, decorative paint chips, and even an instructional DVD.
The epoxy coating won’t bond well if the floor has already been sealed, so test it first by pouring a little water on the floor. If the water beads up, the floor has been sealed before.
You also should check for excess moisture in the slab by taping a 2’ by 2’ piece of plastic to the floor for 24 hours. If the area under the plastic appears damp, then the epoxy might have problems adhering. Newly poured concrete should cure at least a month before sealing.
To apply an epoxy coating to a garage floor:
- Remove all items from the garage.
- Sweep or blow out all dirt and debris.
- Remove any oil or grease stains with mineral spirits and a scrub brush.
- Wipe up the mineral spirits and residue with paper towels.
- Mix the cleaner with water and apply with a long-handled scrub brush.
- Hose off the cleaner and allow the floor to dry thoroughly.
- Fill any cracks in the slab with concrete repair caulk and allow to dry.
- Mix the two-part epoxy sealer together and stir thoroughly.
- Trim out the edges with a brush then roll the floor within the time specified.
- Allow the floor to cure according to the instructions before putting into use.
Not only will sealing the floor improve the look of your garage, the smooth surface will be much easier to sweep and keep clean.
Please Leave a Comment
25 Comments on “How to Seal and Paint a Garage Floor”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.