Around the Yard
How to Keep Dogs from Digging Under a Fence Gate
By: Danny Lipford
I’ve found that some dogs are notorious escape artists when confined to a fenced yard. The easiest way for a dog to escape is by digging under the gate, since it has a gap under it to allow the gate to swing open and closed.
Here’s an easy fix I’ve found to prevent your dog from digging under a fence gate:
- Dig a trench in the ground under the gate between the two gate posts.
- Cut a treated landscape timber to length so it fits between the two gate posts.
- Position the landscape timber in the trench under the gate.
- Attach the landscape timber to the gate posts using galvanized deck screws.
- Fill in the trench back in with dirt around the landscape timber.
Watch this video to see how it’s done.
- DIY Gate Support Hardware (video)
- Repair Sagging Fence Gate with Anti-Sag Gate Kit (video)
- How to Reinforce a Fence Gate to Keep It from Sagging (video)