Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
Tips for Painting Vinyl Siding
It’s possible to paint vinyl siding, if you do it right. Watch this video to learn about the steps needed to clean, prime, and paint the vinyl siding on your house. ...More
One of the advantages of vinyl siding is that it’s a low maintenance product that doesn’t need to be painted. If you do decide to paint vinyl siding, here’s how to go about it.
- Thoroughly clean vinyl siding with a stiff nylon brush using a mixture of TSP (trisodium phosphate) and water.
- Rinse the siding with a garden hose equipped with a spray nozzle, and allow it to dry.
- Apply a bonding primer, or a quality exterior primer with a bonding primer additive, and allow the siding to dry.
- Apply two coats of a high quality acrylic latex paint, allowing drying time between coats.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Paint Vinyl Siding (article)
- How to Clean Vinyl Siding (article)
- How to Paint Plastic or Vinyl Exterior Shutters (article)
- How to Paint Aluminum Siding (article)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Danny Lipford: Alex asks, “Is it possible to paint vinyl siding?”
Just about any surface on the outside of your house can be painted, including vinyl siding. Of course it all starts with proper preparation. And when you’re talking about vinyl siding, one of the best ways to really get it clean is to use a TSP solution, or trisodium phosphate—maybe a stiff bristle nylon brush.
Now after you clean it, you may go, “Hey, that’s looking pretty good,” and you won’t want to paint it. But if you do, the next step would be applying a bonding primer over the entire surface, or use a high quality exterior primer with a bonding primer additive. After that dries, you’ll go back with two coats of high quality acrylic latex, and you’ve completely changed the look of your house.
But you have to keep in mind, one of the big advantages of vinyl siding is it’s virtually maintenance free. If you put a coat of paint on it, you have to paint it again sooner or later.