719 Home Products Videos
Tips on Choosing and Installing a Deadbolt LockBy: Advertiser
When buying and installing a deadbolt for your home:
- Choose a lock with a large diameter bolt that extends 1” or more.
- The lock should have a one piece exterior.
- Use 3” long screws to secure the strike plate to the wall studs.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Choose a Deadbolt Lock for Your Door (video)
- How to Reinforce a Deadbolt Lock on Your Home (video)
- How to Make Your Home Secure from Burglary and Break-In (article)
- Burglarproof Locks (article)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Keeping your home secure starts with a lock, so here’s what to look for when you’re choosing a deadbolt. The bolt should have a large diameter to resist kick-ins and extend one full inch past the strike plate.
To combat other types of tampering, look for a one piece exterior that includes the shield to prevent picking and prying. You’ll also want a lock that’s easy to install; and when you do, use three-inch screws that will tie the strike plate into the studs for added strength.
This tip brought to you by Schlage—real security sets you free.