Expert Home Improvement Advice
How To • Videos • Lawn & Garden • DIY • Articles
What to Look for When Choosing a Tree for Your Yard
When selecting a tree for your yard from a nursery there are several important factors to consider, including branching structure, root structure, and girdling roots. Watch this video to find out more. ...More
When selecting a tree for your yard from a nursery there are several important factors to consider, including:
- Branching Structure: Look for a tree with one main trunk and branches that do not cross each other.
- Root Structure: The tree should have a solid base in the container. If it rocks back and forth in the pot, the tree probably has poor root structure which can lead to problems later in life.
- Girdling Roots: These are roots that grow above the soil in the pot and wrap around the trunk of the tree. A young tree with girdling roots will probably continue to develop more after it is planted. If left alone, girdling roots may eventually kill the tree.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Select the Right Tree for Your Yard (article)
- How to Choose a Tree for Your Yard (video)
- How to Plant a Bare Root Tree (video)
- How to Plant Balled and Burlapped Trees and Shrubs (article)
- How to Plant Container Grown Trees and Shrubs (article)
Please Leave a Comment
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.