Ask Danny Videos
When to Replace an Asphalt Shingle Roof
By: Danny Lipford
Asphalt shingles roofs can last between 15 and 30 years before they need to be replaced.
To determine if your roof needs replacing, start by inspecting the roof. If you see cracked or curling shingles, the roof needs to be replaced before leaking occurs.
To test your roof to see if the shingles are still flexible:
- Slide a flat pry bar or putty knife under a shingle to unstick the adhesive.
- Gently bend the shingle up.
- If the shingle cracks or breaks, it’s time for a new roof.
It’s best to perform this test during moderate temperature conditions when you’re roof isn’t too hot or cold. Asphalt shingles become more brittle when the weather is cold and extremely soft when the temperature is hot. Testing during extreme temperatures can damage a perfectly good roof.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Clean and Inspect Your Roof (video)
- How to Replace a Damaged Asphalt Roof Shingle (video)
- How to Find Roof Leaks in Your Home (video)
- How to Choose a Roof for Your Home (article)
- How to Hire a Roofer for Your Home (article)
Danny Lipford: Marla Asks, “How will I know when it’s time to replace my asphalt shingle roof?”
Depending on the type of asphalt shingle you have, you can expect to get anywhere from 15 to 30 years life expectancy from that roof. And there’s a few tell-tale signs that’ll let you know if you’re getting close to needing to budget a little money to save for that sizable investment of replacing your roof.
First of all, look for any cracks or any curling. That’s one of the tell-tale signs. But also, you can do a simple little test with a flat bar. Just let your flat bar lift right up underneath one of the tabs of the shingles. Then, very carefully, raise it up.
And if it creases or cracks in any way, it’s time for a new roof. But if it remains pliable and lays back down like this, that means you have a few more years before you have to start saving your money.