When and How to Fertilize Centipede Grass

When is the proper time to apply fertilizer to centipede grass? Should I use a weed and feed product?” – Bill

Centipede grass is a warm-season turf grass, which means its growing season begins in late spring and lasts through the summer, then it goes mostly dormant or brown for the winter. The beginning of the growing season is called “green up,” as the grasses once again send up bright green blades and the lawn starts actively growing.

Although usually occurring in April, the exact timing of the spring green up depends on the temperatures in your particular microclimate. During the green up period, the new growth in your lawn is very tender and can be harmed by the broadleaf herbicides in weed and feed products. In addition, feeding too early can cause growth that may be damaged by late cold snaps.

The ideal time to apply fertilizer, or weed and feed products, to centipede grass is a few weeks after green up, but before temperatures start topping 85° F. That’s usually around mid-May, but let your lawn be your guide. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:

• Centipede grass doesn’t respond well to high doses of fertilizer. Too much nitrogen will cause a flush of growth susceptible to disease, and phosphorus will deplete iron levels. Use a phosphorus-free fertilizer such as 15-0-15, with only about 2 pounds of nitrogen per 1000 square feet.
  • If time constraints require you to treat your lawn earlier than recommended, use fertilizer only rather than a weed and feed product.
  • Never apply fertilizer until after all danger of frost has passed.
  • General-purpose weed and feed products can be deadly to this type of lawn. Make sure you purchase a product specifically designed and labeled for centipede grass.
  • Weed and feed is difficult with centipede grass, because the grass does better with a late application, but weeds are more affected by an earlier application – giving a narrow window of time for good results.

For more information on fertilizer, check out our Fertilizer 101 article.

Julie

13 Comments on “When and How to Fertilize Centipede Grass”

1. Linda Brantley Says:
    February 29th, 2012 at 10:10 am

I have about 33000 feet out oa 1 acre to fertilize cenepede grass in my yard. How much 15-0-15 do I need to buy?

2. Neil Says:
    March 20th, 2012 at 8:37 pm

My backyard is centipede in its sixth year of establishment. There are a few pesky intruders on my lawn in spots and I want them gone. But I also want to feed my lawn too. The problem is we have experienced a very early spring in the south. I live on the west side of Atlanta and temps have been in the high 70′s to low 80′s the last week and it looks to stay that way. Im not seeing the new growth yet either. I really don’t want to burn my lawn up either. What do you suggest I do? Also, should I plan to apply before it rains or after? Please advise. We love our backyard and so many people have complimented us on it. We sure don’t want to mess it up.
    Thanks for your help!

3. Linda Brantley Says:
    March 23rd, 2012 at 9:53 am

I put 15-0-15 on my yard March 8, 2012. I used 175 lbs. on 3/4 acrea.
    I have a few yellow spots. What could be the problem?

4. John P Says:
    April 4th, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I have a centipede lawn and have tried to find 15-0-15 fertilizer (which you recommend). I live in Gwinnett County, GA, and have tried Lowe’s, Home Depot, and Family Tree Garden Center in Snellville, GA, and none carry it. Any suggestions? I am a bit desperate. Thanks!

5. Barbara Tolleson Says:
    April 14th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Can I use 24-8-16 on centipede grass. I have a mixture of St. Augustine and Centipede infront yard more centipede than St,Augustine. Just wondered Thanks in advance.

6. Mancel Townsend. Says:
    April 17th, 2012 at 2:25 pm

My yard has been sodded with centipede grass and some weeds have started growing , what can I spray to kill the weeds but not harm the grass

7. Brian Says:
    May 20th, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Any fertilizer with no phosphorus will work. Ex. 10-0-10, 15-0-15, 18-0-18. Just be certain it has iron for centipede. As for yellow spots in the yard simply go back and hand throw a small amount of fertilizer in those areas.

8. Brian Says:
    May 20th, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Take my word for this also. Centipede does not like phosphorus. Make sure the middle number on your fertilizer is 0.

9. Neil Says:
    May 21st, 2012 at 11:36 am

The temperatures are getting hotter and my yard is getting greener! We still have a few weeds, but I’ve been pulling them up by hand. Now, we’re trying to establish a centieped lawn in the front yard since we had it graded and redesigned. Dealing with a lack of rain and very warm temps.
    Thanks for all the help!

10. Rich Yonker Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I live in carolina Shores N C It is nearing spring.
    When may I apply lime granules to my centepede grass?

11. willie bartley Says:
    July 8th, 2014 at 12:24 am

my centipede lawn look yellow and green please help me

12. Toney Edwards Says:
    September 19th, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I live in Fayetteville, NC. I have nice green centipede in my front yard. My front lawn is mostly sunny. However, I have some shade in my back yard and I have tried seeding and sodding. What is my problem? Also, can can I apply fertilizer to centipede in September or October,?

13. frank humphreys Says:
    November 18th, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I have a mature centipede lawn, but I have several problems, more pronounced this last year:
    1) fungus (area turns black and dies);
    2) thinning lawn;
    3) seeded bare spots, but nothing grew; did it twice.
    HELP!