When to Plant After Using Roundup Weed Killer

By: Julie Day

Roundup (glyphosate) Weed Killer

How long do I have to wait to plant after spraying weeds with Roundup? -Ron

According to Scotts, the manufacturer of Roundup (glyphosate) weed killer, its safe to plant ornamental flowers, shrubs, and trees the next day; and they say you can plant grasses and edible plants and trees after three days.

As weed killers go, glyphosate is considered relatively safe, because of how quickly it breaks down. However, when using a glyphosate weed killer such as Roundup, I’d always give it a few days to do its job and be gone before you start digging. Here’s why:

• Needs Time To Work: Contact weed killers, such as glyphosate, are absorbed through the leaves and slowly make their way down to the plant roots. If you plow, dig, or disturb the weeds before they’re good and dead, you risk breaking off some live roots that will sprout again.
  • Residues in Edible Plants: If applied properly and carefully, the small amount of residue on your soil surface shouldn’t harm new plants. However, you wouldn’t want those residues to be absorbed by plants you plan to eat, so I’d hold off on planting herbs and vegetables for several days.
  • Might Harm Seed: New, tender sprouts from seed might also be vulnerable to soil residues, so give them a chance to break down before sowing grass or other seeds.

Good luck!

Julie

Comments

26 Comments on “When to Plant After Using Roundup Weed Killer”

• E. Coleman Says:
    July 24th, 2016 at 9:01 am

My landscaper’s worker accidentally covered 2/3 of my lawn with RoundUp last summer. Though the lawn has been re-seeded in those areas, grass refuses to grow. All I have is “golden hay.” My landscaper says I am not watering enough, but I have been watering almost every day. The grass around the dead areas is green and healthy. Is there an affordable and efficient to restore my lawn? Thanks for any advice.

• Barbara Says:
    June 12th, 2016 at 1:01 pm

HELP…..I planted a fist size clump of the EVIL Snow-In-The Mountain 20 years ago. It is now taking over my ENTIRE flower garden. Should I just rent a back-hoe and be done with it ..? or can I use Roundup on this stuff and NOT kill the tulips and peonies, etc. To hire a landscaper to do this is VERY expensive…….*heavy sigh*…….

Desperate lil ole lady in Montana.

• Franco Stacy Says:
    May 1st, 2016 at 8:08 pm

I would avoid it, but also I would see what the manufacturer recommends. Can they be trusted, not all the way but they do know that lawyers are out there looking for cases. …. Now I am always amazed at the ones that come across like they are saving the planet…go organic! go hemp! Please, your on a computer, have a smart phone, and I am sure you take your leisure trips on jets just to have fun….you take regular showers, wash your clothes after one wearing and you areent washing them by hand or drying them out on a line. People want to say go organic, but how can you trust those organic farmers anymore than you can trust the government or some company. I am also tired of hearing people knock farmers….this country produces more food than any other nation. If we just went organic and stopped farming our methods….how would the world get fed?

• kel Says:
    December 20th, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Im in australia – use glyphosate on my farm….i would never replant anything, especially food grade product, in any area sprayed for ten months after. Anything before that 10 month period will ingest the Glyphosate. Doesn’t matter what any information writes on a product, experience is a better judgement, for which i have plenty.

• Chris D Says:
    November 30th, 2015 at 12:27 am

my strawberry plants almost all died after planting in a soil barely contaminated w Roundup 6 months earlier. I lost 98 out of 100 plants. So much for assuming 2-3 days is enough…
    Also remember glyphosate decomposes into another chemical which persists in the soil for a LONG, LONG time and has NOT been studied by EPA as they “just” focused on Glyphosate degradation time (half life).

• Mary Deshais Says:
    October 17th, 2015 at 7:38 am

My neighbor poured round up on my lawn, how long should I wait to fertilize the grass?

• Kim Freeman Says:
    August 17th, 2015 at 9:33 am

After reading all the evidence damning glyphosate , a key ingredient in ROUNDUP, I feel compelled to share the following :
    Monsanto has known for decades that Roundup, and all glyphosate products are poisonous to the soil, water, and all life on the planet. It does NOT breakdown as Monsanto would claim, but leaches into groundwater and stays in soil, releasing carcinogens that contaminate and cause cancer. This isn’t a case of “maybe” it can cause cancer. It actually does. Exposure to glyphosate is very dangerous to human health. A significant increase in brain, breast, liver, thyroid, bone, and lymph caners have been reported among those exposed to glyphosate residues.

It’s time to ban this poison from any applications in industry and food production. Glyphosate is used in Monsanto’s “Smart seeds”, GMO seeds that grow food which has caused a significant increase in cases of the diseases Sprue, Celiac, Ruematoid Asthma, and Cancers across the board. Many countries have banned the use of glyphosates, The World Health Orgnization has listed glyphosate as a carcinogen. Read on:

• William Says:
    June 19th, 2015 at 2:33 am

What can I use to eradicate Knott weed, and still have use for the soil at a later date?

• Jeannine M Says:
    June 14th, 2015 at 2:25 pm

One more point, be very careful about what companies and government agencies (bought and paid for by those companies)…you allow to think for you, as they were the same families of companies that said for one of many examples…that agent orange was safe!

• Jeannine M Says:
    June 14th, 2015 at 2:23 pm

ECOSmart products sold at Home Depot, Ace Hardware and other stores, along with safer and more natural alternatives like the lemon juice, vinegar and soap mixtures you can learn about on the internet and are much cheaper, can be used to kill weeds and are ecologically and biologically safe to humans and pets. It is not necessary to use all these harmful poisons to be effective.

• grete sandberg Says:
    May 30th, 2015 at 12:06 pm

I have a large area that used to be a lawn. For reasons we were not around and the grass died, weed are abundant. Sod is expensive to buy and labor extensive to put down. Seeding then….

Some say three weeks, some four — between Round up an seeding. Some say days? Is there rime or reason somewhere.
    Surmise that vinegar will not do in this case.

• Richard Says:
    May 2nd, 2015 at 12:47 pm

I have sprayed the undesireable seeds in our herb and flower garden thrice. I want to sow seeds for zinnia and marigolds now. Shall I wait 3 days, or more?

• Bonnie Hutto Says:
    March 31st, 2015 at 9:56 am

We have a wild ground cover here that has invaded my whole yard. It has white peanut type growth on the roots and where ever there is a nut a whole new plant grows again. It has been sprayed many times with Round-up which kills the plant but not these little white things underground. I use barrels cut in half to plant my vegetables and somehow this plant has even invaded these barrels. Any suggestions?

• Tom Storm Says:
    January 17th, 2015 at 2:18 pm

We have a voracious foreign invader on our little island here in the South Pacific. Impossible to remove by digging pulling etc. Need to kill at root level and as much as I would prefer not to use herbicides – I don’t have a much choice. Roundup actually does work in a matter of hours but I will wait a week before planting seeds.

Tom

• Judy Says:
    November 17th, 2014 at 7:35 am

Used on edible food, if it is used to kill weeds in a field with food, it gets on the food, how much of the roundup still on the food for injestion?

• George Wages Says:
    July 31st, 2014 at 11:22 am

Why is it I can go buy Roundup but can’t buy Graze on without a class and a license

July 31st, 2014 at 8:14 am

Andi,
    As indicated in the article above, the length of time you need to wait before replanting after spraying Roundup can vary from 1 to 3 days depending on the type of plant you’re planting.

• Andi Says:
    July 30th, 2014 at 5:15 pm

So, then, to get a straight answer, if you please, how long do I have to wait to plant after spraying weeds with Roundup???

• Brian Says:
    July 3rd, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Thanks for the info about how long to wait to replant.

As for the other posters throwing in opinions, I’m going home to spray glycophosphate on a half acre of weeds and will excavate 2499 SF at a time just because of the the posts you made. When used appropriately, chemicals can help produce great, safe products. Now go enjoy your $20 ‘organic’ vegetable wrap.

• Maura Says:
    August 6th, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Hi,
    We killed the lawn(using Ultra Stop Weed and Grass Killer)and we do not know when to replant the new grass(it takes more than two weeks?)

Maura

• Stephen lane Says:
    July 3rd, 2013 at 7:39 pm

You people have obviously never dealt with invasive plants like bears breech, organic nothing bla bla will kill this mother of a plant , if it wasn’t for chemicals we’d all be over run by bed bugs and rats and roaches , u hippies needs a grip

• Lisa Says:
    June 26th, 2013 at 8:19 am

Agreed. I see that stuff on the shelves and it makes me sick. Little poison flags all over the lawns around the neighborhood, and those are usually just the ones who have an outside service come in to spray… not the folks who buy the jugs of poison from the store. Poison is poison – kills and damage life. You don’t get to choose which life. Run off hurts us all. Stop poisoning the planet and use an organic MULCH to build the soil life and keep the weeds down.

• Melodae Says:
    June 8th, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I was going to subscribe to Today’s Homeowner, until I saw this post about RoundUp. It shouldn’t be used at all. Period.

• Jeremy Says:
    June 4th, 2013 at 10:01 am

Kris,

If you look at my earlier comment you’ll see I wasn’t speaking to the speed with which RoundUp kills the plant – I was speaking to how rapidly the toxic compounds break down, which directly impacts both how soon one can plant in that area (directly to the question above) and human health.

• Kris Says:
    June 4th, 2013 at 5:48 am

It isn’t really a “myth” about weed killer working fast, its exactly what they print right on the front of the jugs in big letters. So it’s actually more accurate to say its misleading advertising than a “myth”. They say right on the bottle “noticeable results in hours” and its obviously not the case.

We shouldn’t let companies get a pass on things like that, its happening way more often with on products of all kinds, the BS they advertise getting deeper, why not just call it like it is?

• Jeremy Says:
    May 12th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

It is a common myth that RoundUp breaks down quickly. According to filings with the EPA, the half life of glycophosate is 47 days. See: http://efw.bpa.gov/environmental_services/Document_Library/Vegetation_Management/sheets/Glyphosate.pdf