- Other Rooms
- Lawn & Garden
- Deck & Patio
- Repair & Install
When to Trim Trees and ShrubsBy: Julie Day
Cut larger limbs while trees and shrubs are dormant.
When is the best time of year to trim tree limbs and cut back shrubs? -Ann
The best time to prune or trim trees and shrubs is during the late winter while they’re dormant. Pruning during the dormant season is ideal because:
- The wounds heal faster, keeping the plant strong.
- There is less risk of disease or pest infestation.
- There is less sap flowing. Bleeding sap doesn’t really hurt the tree, but it’s messy and can attract pests.
- It’s easier to see what you’re doing while the leaves are gone.
- Conifers: Prune in late winter while fully dormant.
- Nonblooming Trees and Shrubs: Prune in late winter while fully dormant.
- Summer-blooming Trees and Shrubs: Prune in late winter.
- Spring-blooming Trees and Shrubs: Wait until immediately after they bloom. They are the exception to the rule, but you still should prune them as early as you can.
You can remove dead or damaged limbs any time.
You can do the following any time of year:
- Trim back small tree branches (the size you can cut with handheld lopping shears).
- Lightly shape hedges and conifers.
- Remove dead or diseased branches. If you live in an area prone to hurricanes or ice storms, it’s important to remove weakened branches in the fall – it’s better to prune at the wrong time than to have your tree injured by a storm!
Please Leave a Comment
6 Comments on “When to Trim Trees and Shrubs”
You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.
We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.
Copyright © 2015 Danny Lipford Media. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Past Episodes of Today's Homeowner | Remodeling Contractor in Mobile, Alabama (AL) | Video Production in Mobile, Alabama (AL)