Winter Care of Succulents

“I live in Zone 8a, and I’ve got a lot of succulent plants that do well in hot temperatures. While we don’t get much freezing weather, it does happen sometimes. How should I take care of succulents during the cold winter months?” -Meredith

If you are planting winter-hardy varieties, such as Sedum (Sedum sp.), Hens and Chicks (Sempervivum sp.), Ice Plant (Delosperma sp.), Lewisia (Lewisia sp.), or Yucca (Yucca sp.), you shouldn’t have to worry about any extra winter care. You may see them begin to wither, shrink, or change color as cold weather approaches, but this is part of their normal winter routine. These plants withstand freezing temperatures, with some varieties hardy down to zone 3.

For less hardy varieties, the problem during the winter is the deadly combination of cold temperatures and waterlogged, soggy soil from rains and snow melt. Many varieties will withstand colder temperatures if the soil can be kept dry enough. Some tips for caring for tender succulents during freezing weather include:

• Keep the soil as dry as possible. Stop supplemental watering and feeding around late fall.
  • Be sure there is adequate air circulation, to keep the winter dampness at bay.
  • Plant succulents in sheltered areas if your winters are rainy – a good spot might be a sunny location underneath the eaves or porch.
  • Make sure your soil has good drainage – if you notice soggy soil around your succulents during wet weather, you need to improve the conditions to help your plant survive. Add sand, well-draining organic matter, or a product such as Perma-Till to increase water drainage.
  • Cover tender plants when freezing temperatures are forecasted. You can use fabric covers, bushel baskets, or purchased frost covers. Just make sure the covers do not touch the leaves, and don’t keep them covered any longer than necessary – they need air circulation and sunlight.
  • Don’t remove snow cover – it’s a good insulator.
  • Julie

14 Comments on “Winter Care of Succulents”

1. Deb Peterson Says:
    July 19th, 2009 at 7:58 pm

What is the name of the succulent plant at the top of this page?? I have been searching for the name of this plant for some time! It is a beautiful plant and I suspect it is in the sedum family or maybe hens and chicks. Please advise……thanks, Deb

2. Norm Says:
    September 7th, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I also need to know the name of the pictured plant b/c I have several of them and am always asked by visitors what it is. It spreads easily so I do give away some. It has been rel fun to have. {zone 5-6}
    Thanks, Norm

3. Charmaine O'Rourke Says:
    October 17th, 2010 at 10:47 am

I too need to know the name of the plant pictured at the top of this page. Two people above requested the name of this plant but I cannot find the answer anywhere. A friend has this growing all over her property up at an altitude of about 7500 and it grows great and spreads and doesn’t die in the winter from the snow nor do the deer eat it. Please let me know what the name of this plant is. Thanks!

4. Official Comment:

Julie Day Says:
    October 18th, 2010 at 8:13 am

It’s a variety of sedum, but I’m sorry to say I don’t know which one! I contacted the gardener who provided the setting for the photo, and she doesn’t know either. Sorry I couldn’t offer the name this plant so well deserves – it’s a very hardy, wonderful succulent that works well by itself and also peeks beautifully out among other plants in the garden. For some great photos and possibly an answer, visit sedumphotos.net and prepare to be boggled by the choices!

5. Kathy Says:
    November 19th, 2010 at 7:23 am

The plant above looks to me like myrtle spurge (Euphorbia myrsinites). I have it in my zone 4 garden

6. Nancy Tryon Says:
    May 15th, 2011 at 8:13 am

I have two special dahlias, which I purchased potted from a garden center, they were beautiful last year. I dug them and stored them loose in a storage shed which stays in the 40′s-50′s all winter. We’re in zone 5, this spring the bulbs aren’t sprouting, although they look healthy and are firm.

7. Sue Says:
    November 10th, 2011 at 9:16 am

Succulent at top of page is a euphorbia biglandulosa AKA rigida ….a type of gopher plant.

I live in Tucson, AZ, where it lives in the full sun and survives the freezing winters,and spreads quickly after the blooms seed in the spring.

8. Rachel Says:
    January 31st, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I also spent weeks trying to identify the above plant. It’s beautiful, but poisonous! I got some of the milky juice of the plant on my hand, and then touched my face. It burned my skin, burned my eyes, and left red welts anywhere that it touched me. Now I know!

9. Fred Stone Says:
    February 26th, 2012 at 2:51 am

Dear Julie,
    We hope you can help us or direct us to someone who might.
    We mistakenly left our Graptopetalum paraguayense outside (2C) overnight about 2 weeks ago and since then it is looking really sad. It doesn’t seem to be recovering; in fact, it seems to be looking worse. It is a large plant that until a few weeks ago was thriving inside our home.
    What can we do? Can we cut it back and hope that it will recover quicker or easier when spring comes? Or will cutting it back kill it or make things worse?
    Thanking you in advance for any suggestion you might have.
    Best regards,
    Fred and Mandy

10. thomas Says:
    May 7th, 2012 at 10:42 am

The plant at the top of the page is Myrtle Spurge. We bought some years ago at a nursery, and have recently been notified by the County that it is now listed as an A Class Noxious Weed in Colorado, and we are required by law to remove it from our property. It is illegal to grow this plant in Colorado now!

11. Alissa Says:
    July 9th, 2012 at 2:08 pm

As Rachel mentioned above – the plant is poisonous. I to am just now recovering from burnt eyes/face mouth etc. from pruning the flowers off this week. Love the plant, beautiful and I have many but this time the plant won.

12. Dee Cranfill Says:
    November 20th, 2012 at 12:45 am

Thank you so much. I think the problem I have experienced is that I allowed the plants to get too much water. I will keep them under shelter outside in the future.

13. Marsha Russell Says:
    August 2nd, 2014 at 7:29 pm

The plant pictures IS Euphorbia myrsinities. It can seed excessively in MA, zone 5.

14. gail Says:
    August 22nd, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I live in NYC and have a terrace on the 25th floor . The winters can be brutal being that terrace is facing water from 3 angles.
    Any suggestions on how to protect a very large cactus and fruit tree?